Thursday, December 29, 2011

On the day before Reed was born....

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas! I will catch you up on our Christmas but first I need to reminisce!

 
One year ago today, Bryan and I left the house to go to what would be our last appointment at the specialist. I left the house with a hunch that I wouldn’t be returning empty handed. We were leaving our house as Bryan and Holly but we’d be returning to our home as Mommy and Daddy.


After a stressful hour of tests and sonograms, they told me that I needed to be induced and deliver Reed for his health. He wasn’t gaining weight like he should and he also didn’t pass the non-stress test like all the other times. It was time to get him out so he could catch up on the outside. I was beyond upset and scared, I had no idea what was ahead of me. It was a similar day like today, it was cold but I remember the sun being a bit brighter as we drove to the hospital.


 You know how the rest of the story goes if you look back on my birth story. I spent the day with Bryan and family by my side while the Nurses prepared me for birth. All was pretty calm because I wasn't in labor until they induced me around 4:30pm, and then they broke my water around 7:30pm. I had some seriously painful/awesomely incredible contractions for about 8 hours that led me to an epidural around 10pm. Somewhere in the 12:30am hour they checked and Reed was ready!! I pushed for about 10-15 min and there he was in all his screaming glory at 1:10am. My beautiful, perfect, tiny, wrinkled, loud baby boy. Bryan and I spent the next year consumed in his needy love.

Here we are; hours shy of one year later and we have a plump, happy, healthy, silly, giggling red headed blue eyed Reed. He has changed me in more ways than I ever thought possible. I had no idea I could be as strong as he's made me. He's given me patience, courage, persistence and a much bigger as well as softer heart. That's scary for someone who chooses not to watch Country videos because they make her cry. I can hardly watch a sappy commercial or read an eye opening article about parenting without getting watery eyes. 


It's been quite a year for us as we've grown into parenthood and as Reed's grown into his 1 year old self. No one said it would be easy, it is by far the hardest thing and the most amazing thing I've ever done. Thank you Reed and Happy almost birthday to my sweet little dude! I can't wait to celebrate you all day tomorrow and Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. i almost cried reading this, so sweet Holly!!! I can't believe it's been a year, time flies!

    ReplyDelete