Sunday, January 22, 2012

Amoxicillin toxicillin

So last week we started the work week fresh thinking this will be a better, healthy week. I pick up Reed on Monday after work and I could just see it in him. He wasn't acting like Reed. Big signs followed; he didn't want his dinner that night and he whimpered all through the night in his crib. Tuesday morning brings us a fever and DOUBLE pink eye. My poor poor Reed. Pink eye, yuck! I've never had it and didn't know much about it, but there was no denying that's what it was. As the week progressed, the fever, the sleepless nights and the pink eye continued. Finally on Thursday I took him to the Pediatrician. Low and behold, obvious double pink eye.....and an ear infection! No wonder he wasn't happy!

Reed gets prescribed an antibiotic ointment for his eyes and amoxicillin for his ear. I'd like to point out that this is his second ear infection, he had one in December, and he took amoxicillin then. We gave him his first dose that evening and not even 45 min later we notice bumps all over his belly. Thinking maybe its a reaction to the virus he's fighting, we kind of move on. Friday comes and the bumps are still there. They don't look awful, but they're there. His eyes are still blood red. He looks pathetic. I greet him on Friday evening after he spent the day with his ever so helpful Gpa. I check him out and the bumps are now slowly creeping onto his face and back. I'm so torn as to what to do.....I had googled his symptoms a million times and came to my conclusion that he was having an allergic reaction to amoxicillin, OR could it be from the chicken pox vaccine he had two weeks ago? We wake on Saturday morning and the bumps are minimal....we give him another dose following the instructions.... the pink eye is looking much better, but now the bumps are the main concern. He wakes from a nap on me and his cheeks are covered in a red/flushed rash. I send a picture to his Aunt Katie as she requested and thankfully she is at work and has a Doc look at the picture. Doc confirms that it looks like an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin and to get him to Doc to get a different antibiotic ASAP. Call our Doc and they closed 10 min prior. Off to Righttime we go.

Some 3 hours later we have a new antibiotic. Doc confirmed the reaction (or best guess really) and prescribed us with azithromycin....Reed randomly broke out the bumps while we were there which was good timing I guess. Whats so scary about being allergic to amoxicillin is the reaction can be very serious if we had kept administering. So glad we took him when we did. Gave him his first dose of the new antibiotic on Saturday night and again last night. bumps/rash seems to be gone. Eyes looking like his baby blues again.

Earlobes, eyes, toes, and tails crossed this is all behind us!!!

3 comments:

  1. Poor guy! Rash on the torso - often a sign of allergy. I'm so sorry you all had such a difficult week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, what a week. Poor Reed! I'm glad he is feeling better. You have me dreading when Olivia gets sick for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a week. I'm allergic to penicillin and amoxicillin too. My mom found out the same way!

    Also, Janmes got pink eye from daycare when he was about 8 months and I called the doctors office and they suggested to put baby shampoo in his eyes and wash them out 2-3 times/day. It worked! So now at bath time when washing his hair I always rub the shampoo in his eyes to get rid of all those daycare germs.

    ReplyDelete